Download Covenant iCare App
Connecting Your Patient with Compassionate Post-Acute Care
Referring a patient to Covenant Care has never been easier or more convenient. Simply download the Covenant iCare App on your smart phone or mobile device to have instant access to Covenant’s comprehensive continuum of post-acute and end-of-life services for your patient.
The Covenant iCare App allows physicians, discharge planners and other providers to make the referral while they are with the patient, to initiate and expedite the admission process.
Just click the “Start Care” button on the app’s home page. We can help you determine the prognosis and care needs of your patient, and you can still follow your patient and be paid for that service. As always, you may call us at 1.855.CARE.365 to make the referral by phone.
Healthcare Professionals’ Frequently Asked Questions
The numbers of patients we serve on a daily basis continues to grow and we greatly appreciate how much this demonstrates the confidence you have in us to care for your patients and their loved ones.
Because it’s the right thing to do for terminal patients. Covenant Care can provide symptom control, patient and family support that no doctor or clinic could provide on their own.
As a physician you will know that you made the right referral at the right time and to the right specialty. Most doctors say that high-quality end-of-life care is the number one reason they make referrals to hospice. You can still follow your patient and be paid for that service.
Covenant Care provides specialty nurses and doctors, trained in palliative care and symptom control. Home health aides, chaplains, social workers, grief and bereavement specialists, and volunteers are on the team that supports you in the care of your patient.
Covenant is all about respecting wishes. We respect the wishes of the patient and we admire and respect our patients’ attending physicians.
No, if you want to continue as the attending physician, Covenant Care supports that doctor-patient relationship. If you choose to refer your patient to the Covenant physician, we will continue to keep you informed of your patient’s status.
Call us at 1.855.CARE.365
Request a Covenant Care evaluation. Our specialists can help you determine the prognosis and care needs of your patient.
Yes. Covenant will provide your office staff the information and codes so that you can bill and be paid for your professional services.
At the time when a Medicare beneficiary elects hospice care, he/she may designate an attending physician. (The attending physician is defined by Medicare as the physician or nurse practitioner which is identified by the individual at the time he/she elects hospice coverage as having the most significant role in the determination and delivery of his/her medical care.)
- If the attending physician is NOT employed by Covenant Care, the attending physician or nurse practitioner can bill directly to Medicare Part B for their services for reimbursement.
- When billing Medicare Part B as the “attending physician” (which may include a Nurse Practitioner), the HCPCS modifier GV must be submitted for the services provided to patients enrolled in Covenant Hospice. Services submitted without one of these modifier will be denied.
- The GV modifier indicates the attending physician is NOT employed or paid under an agreement by the patient’s hospice provider.
- Services by a nurse practitioner are only billable if the nurse practitioner has been elected, by the patient, as the attending physician.
Professional services related to the terminal illness provided by any physician other than the “attending physician” are considered to be “consulting physician” services. The consulting physician must look to Covenant Hospice for payment of these services. Covenant Hospice will bill Medicare Part A and reimburse the physician based upon a contractual agreement.
- The consulting physician must have a signed letter of agreement with Covenant Hospice. One agreement for a group of physicians is permitted as long as all of the physicians in that group are listed on the agreement.
- Covenant Hospice is responsible for reimbursing the physician for the services as indicated in the letter of agreement. Covenant Hospice currently reimburses 100% of the Medicare fee schedule. No co pays are collected from the patient.
- The services must be related to the terminal illness and within the hospice plan of care. Initially, claims should be submitted to Covenant Hospice for review to determine payment.
- If the service is determined by Covenant Hospice to be unrelated to the terminal illness the physician should bill Medicare directly using the GW modifier. The GW modifier indicates the service was not related to the patient’s terminal illness. Services submitted without this modifier will be denied.
- If the service is determined by Covenant Hospice to be outside the plan of care, the physician should bill Medicare directly.
- Physicians Assistants and Nurse Practitioners are not allowed to bill Covenant Hospice as a consulting physician as the hospice is unable to receive reimbursement from Medicare Part A. They should bill Medicare and other insurance companies directly.
The physician should bill private insurance companies directly.
For additional questions or help, you may contact our Physician Reimbursement Specialist at 850.202.0929.
Our physicians are happy to answer further questions you may have about our services. Contact us at 1.855.CARE.365.